Travel guide and directory

Myanmar
English Français Deutsch Nederlands Italiano Español

Myanmar > Pictures and travelogues > Yangon colonial buildings

Yangon in Myanmar: pictures from colonial buildings, the Strand Hotel, the Central Post Office and the Armenian church.

The Central Post Office in Yangon, Myanmar
The Central Post Office in Yangon, Myanmar.

Until the mid-18th century, Yangon was called Dagon. It was a large village of fishermen around the Shwedagon Pagoda. In 1755, King Alaungpaya, founder of the last Burmese dynasty (Konbaung Dynasty), conquered Dagon and renamed it Yangon, which means "end of hostilities". He developed the city. The port of Yangon became the main port of the country to the detriment of  Syriam (now Thanlyin), the former Portuguese trading post. Then, the British founded a trading post in Yangon. Prosperous Parsi, Armenian and Muslim merchants settled in the city.

At the end of the first Anglo-Burmese War (1824-26), the British, who conquered the city, returned it to Burmese administration. They regained control of the city during the second Anglo-Burmese War in 1852. The following year, they made Burma a British colony with Yangon as the capital.

More than other Asian cities, Yangon is still home to a large amount of colonial buildings. However, many of them are dilapidated. One of the most impressive colonial buildings in Yangon is the Central Post Office, which is located Strand Road, near the Strand Hotel.

the Strand Hotel in Yangon, Myanmar.
Lobby of the Strand Hotel in Yangon, Myanmar.

The Strand Hotel is one of the most emblematic hotels in Yangon. This 5 star hotel dates back to 1901. It was built by Sarkies Brothers, who built also be the Raffles Hotel in Singapore. At that time, it was regarded as the best hotel east of the Suez Canal. Rudyard Kipling, George Orwell and Somerset Maugham stayed there.

The Strand Hotel perfectly retains its British character and timeless charm. This 3-storey hotel is one of the best maintained colonial buildings in the city. The lobby is a cool oasis. The rooms are spacious and high. They have teakwood floors.

The Armenian Church of Yangon, Myanmar
The Armenian Church of Yangon, Myanmar: the small tower of the church.

The Armenian Church of Yangon, dedicated to Saint John the Baptist since 1963, is a small church that is located in Yangon, not far from the Strand Hotel and the Yangon River. It is one of the oldest churches in Yangon. It dates back to 1862. At that time, many Armenian traders lived in the city. The church is well preserved.


 

See also

Myanmar > Pictures and travelogues > Yangon city and river

Advertise with usAdd a link - Correcting a link - Disclaimer -  Contact us
Add to favourites -  Link to us - Travel directory

Copyright © 2019 WillGoTo. Tous droits réservés.

Yangon in Myanmar: pictures from colonial buildings, the Strand Hotel, the Central Post Office and the Armenian church. Comprehensive travel guide to Myanmar with 200 great pictures.